On Jan. 23, 1943, my uncle, Frank Ebner Gartz, (photo in uniform, above) reported to the draft board in Chicago to start his training for WWII. So began the correspondence between him and family & friends, comprising almost 300 letters going both ways. I’m posting many of these World War II letters, each on or near the 70th anniversary of its writing. To start with his induction, click HERE.


This blog began in Nov., 2010, when I posted a century-old love note from Josef Gärtz, my paternal grandfather, to Lisi (Elisabetha) Ebner, my paternal grandmother, and follows their bold decision to strike out for America.


My mom and dad were writers too, recording their lives in diaries and letters from the 1920s-the 1990s. Historical, sweet, joyful, and sad, all that life promises-- and takes away--are recorded here as it happened. It's an ongoing saga of the 20th century. To start at the very beginning, please click HERE.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy 100th Anniversary! 10/13/1911-10/13/2011

Josef and Elsabetha Gartz-Wedding day October 13, 1911
Friday the thirteenth, a century ago, was a lucky day for my grandparents, Josef Gartz and Elisabetha Ebner, when they became husband and wife.

Given how grand they look in their wedding photos, it's hard to believe that Josef had been at work since 5:30 am that morning, leaving early to get married at 3:00 p.m., and he would once again be at work at 5:30 a.m. the day after the wedding as well.

I first wrote about their wedding in my August 23rd post, The Half Day Honeymoon, where you can read my grandmother's written memories of that day.

On this day, I'm going to celebrate with their photos:


To leave a comment, please click here.

14 comments:

Jasia said...

Beautiful! I hope you're going to submit this to this month's COG!

Debi Austen said...

What absolutely beautiful photos! And somehow I missed the Half Day Honeymoon post so was thrilled to see it now.

Happy anniversary, Josef and Lisi!

Nancy said...

The first photo is great but the second photo is fabulous! Don't you love how she's resting her elbow on his shoulder?

Linda Gartz said...

So glad you're all enjoying the photos. It's great to hear from all of you

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these great stories.

Anonymous said...

great site

Anonymous said...

The temporal coincidence is so interesting.

Anonymous said...

Sis, I love seeing al these pixs of ancestors and reading your work. In this post we see the "Old World" very alive in the stature and symbols of those at the wedding. Of course, they were only ~1 year from leaving. Keep it up! Paul

Kathy Reed said...

Linda,
I'm playing catchup on my reading. I absolutely love this post. I sent a link for it to my niece who is really interested in vintage clothing. I love the role that instruments played in the lives of our ancestors.

Carol said...

Great photos for sure, there goes Carol's photo envy level again, sky rocketing.

Linda Gartz said...

Kathy,
Well I'm playing catch-up on responding to my wonderful commenters. Yes, I love the clothes too and I'm so glad you can share them with someone who has a great interest. Boy, she'd have a field day with my photos -- and Carol! I've had people tell me I'm blessed -- or cursed! Sometimes I feel a little of both, but with this post's photos, I definitely feel blessed. Thanks for dropping by. And Anonymous, whoever you (singular or plural) are, thanks for the compliments!

Dorene from Ohio said...

What wonderful photos, and a great love story!!

FranE said...

Beautiful memories.

Kristin said...

The photos and the letter by your grandmother are so wonderful to have. They managed to get a lot into half a day, looks like they had music too!