On Jan. 23, 1943, my uncle, Frank Ebner Gartz, (photo in uniform, above) reported to the draft board in Chicago to start his training for WWII. So began the correspondence between him and family & friends, comprising almost 300 letters going both ways. I’m posting many of these World War II letters, each on or near the 70th anniversary of its writing. To start with his induction, click HERE.


This blog began in Nov., 2010, when I posted a century-old love note from Josef Gärtz, my paternal grandfather, to Lisi (Elisabetha) Ebner, my paternal grandmother, and follows their bold decision to strike out for America.


My mom and dad were writers too, recording their lives in diaries and letters from the 1920s-the 1990s. Historical, sweet, joyful, and sad, all that life promises-- and takes away--are recorded here as it happened. It's an ongoing saga of the 20th century. To start at the very beginning, please click HERE.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The War-years work schedule

Long hours were common during the war years, as women and the men left behind had to do the work of the men deployed and in training. It was no different for my parents. My Mom, Lillian, was executive secretary for the president of the Bayer Company in downtown Chicago. She was an expert typist, resulting in letters like the one below. It needs no transcription, but if the print seems too small, just hold your command or control button and press the + key to enlarge.



No comments: