On Jan. 23, 1943, my uncle, Frank Ebner Gartz, (photo in uniform, above) reported to the draft board in Chicago to start his training for WWII. So began the correspondence between him and family & friends, comprising almost 300 letters going both ways. I’m posting many of these World War II letters, each on or near the 70th anniversary of its writing. To start with his induction, click HERE.


This blog began in Nov., 2010, when I posted a century-old love note from Josef Gärtz, my paternal grandfather, to Lisi (Elisabetha) Ebner, my paternal grandmother, and follows their bold decision to strike out for America.


My mom and dad were writers too, recording their lives in diaries and letters from the 1920s-the 1990s. Historical, sweet, joyful, and sad, all that life promises-- and takes away--are recorded here as it happened. It's an ongoing saga of the 20th century. To start at the very beginning, please click HERE.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY-ACROSS THE DECADES

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL ACROSS 70 YEARS.

FROM LILLLIAN KOROSCHETZ TO FRED GARTZ - FEBRUARY 14, 1942
(Scroll down to see all sides.)

See the 1911 Valentine my grandfather, Josef Gartz sent his sweetheart, Lisi, my grandmother, here: Be my Valentine 1911

I love hearing from you. Please click on "Post a Comment" below in red. 

6 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

adorable! Colleen
http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/

Debi Austen said...

Oh my, you have VALENTINE'S cards???? Now that makes me more determined to go through the huge box of letters I have from my parents when my dad was in WWII. Maybe I'll find something extra special!

Anonymous said...

Incroyable! A Valentines' Day card from 70 years ago! Your Mom was the organizer, but your Dad must have saved the card for some time, too, until your Mom could stash it away for posterity. It obviously meant a lot to both of them. Happy Valentine's Day! Katy

Sandy Arnone said...

The warmth and love expressed by your family members never fails to impress me. In spite of life's ups and downs, love conquers all. It really is all about love.

Linda Gartz said...

So glad you all liked this Valentine. I have to say, I think it's awfully cute myself and it's so much fun to share these never-to-be-seen today images.

Kathy Reed said...

I've not been able to keep up with the posts in my google reader. I'm glad I got a chance to look at this one -- even if it's 10 days after Valentine's Day. What a wonderful card.